Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More Health Benefits of Honey

A recent international syposium in California addressed new research on the health benefits of honey. Their findings indicate that potential benefits of honey include:

improved chemotherapy-induced neutropenia

improved wound healing

restorative sleep

cough suppression

improved cognitive function (mental performance and memory)

AND

improved blood sugar control and insulin sensitivity (compared to other sweeteners).

Additionally, Spanish scientists found that the antioxidants in honey can be doubled by feeding bees on honeydew blossoms. Cool.

Personally, when I sweeten tea, I use tupelo honey, because it doesn't overpower the flavor of the tea and because it helps keep my allergies down when I visit my home state of North Carolina. More on sweetening tea. More on the honey symposium.

No comments: