Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Iced Tea

Over the weekend, I went to a great barbecue. I'm originally from North Carolina and when I mentioned to a few of my Southern friends that I was going to a barbecue, they thought I meant there would be a pig on a spit like at a Southern barbecue. Much to my relief, there was not, but there were many meats and (thankfully) veggie options grilled over the course of the day. The one really Southern thing that was consumed... sweetened iced tea, made by yours truly.


Me drinking my Southern iced tea

As the weather gets hotter, many people switch from hot tea to iced tea. Most in the US choose RTD (ready-to-drink, or bottled, tea).


Most kinds are very sweet and have a lot of added flavors.


Some kinds are unsweetened or less sweet, and have fewer flavors added. (These particular ones are at my favorite Asian market in NYC.)

Whether you prefer your tea sweet or "unsweet" (as they say in the South), it's easy to make delicious, natural, high quality iced tea at home. If you want to learn more, here's an article I wrote on iced tea last year. It includes which teas ice well, how to make iced tea, and a bunch of other interesting info on iced tea. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph said...

I like that photo of you!
I must admit, I'm not a canned tea fan. It's so easy to make at home and I'm spoiled! But I'm glad there are some non-sweetened options out there in a can when I do want to grab one. It's a better choice than soda, for sure.