Wednesday, June 13, 2007

SF: Day Two

Today was, as my friends and I say, effing amazing.

My day began by not beginning--that is to say, I slept in. Sleeping in is something I very rarely get to do, so it was a real treat for me. I've been traveling quite a bit, but this was my first taste of a vacation. I got to wake up slowly (and how I savored being able to do that) and read the rest of "Dry" (which I recommend--it's smart, funny, and unabashed). Then, I took a nice, long, hot shower. (I used a shampoo by Aveda with, among other things, green tea extract. It smelled great.)

Once I was ready to face the day, I worked on my site for four or five hours. I use the word "worked," but I love working on Vee Tea so much that I should say "played." Actually, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a professional researcher. With my site, I get to devote a large amount of time to research and (another joy) writing. How can I possibly consider it to be work? It's just more vacation to me.

Late in the afternoon, I headed into town. I met up with Tajee at the Apple store for her presentation. It focused on video blogging (something she is well-known for and I am just starting on). I got to meet a number of other "vloggers" and learn a lot about this emerging form of expression. Very cool!

Afterward, there was a party. Like the event, there was a great turnout. They seemed to all be having a great time. Justin and I don't really drink, so we headed out to a restaurant (The Globe) to meet up with my old friends Kevin and Austin, who both work for Google. The food and atmosphere at The Globe were decent (I expect a lot from SF restaurants!), but the company and conversation were what it was all about. We laughed about all kinds of things, talked about NYC, SF, Google, the Tea Expo, food, life, travel, zoos, aesthetic, and all kinds of other things.

Soon enough, I headed "home," very pleased with my day. I adore SF. If/when I move away from NYC, I think that this is where I'll end up. I love the hills and the trees, the weather, the food, the tea, the geek factor, the architecture, the museums, the big city culture, the small town feel, and the overall vibe of the place. (I even love the fact that I feel comfortable using words like "vibe" here.)

Tomorrow is devoted to tea. SF has a LOT to offer in this arena, so it should be very exciting. I'll tell you all about it!

No comments: